with Sarah Bolton
Cost: $150 + supplies
Skill Level: Experienced Beginner
Gear up for colder weather with the cozy quilted Tamarack Jacket. You will broaden your sewing skills and techniques through sandwiching and quilting your fabric, making bias tape, and sewing your own welt pockets.
The first day of class will cover pattern prep and quilting the pattern pieces. You will have to finish quilting your pieces prior to the second class meeting. Yes, there is homework! During the second class, we will cut our pieces out of quilted fabric, make bias binding and welt pockets. The following week, we will begin putting the jacket together, seaming the shoulders and adding the bias binding. Finally, the fourth and final class will focus on putting the sleeves and body together and adding the front closure.
This class is designed for students who have some experience sewing apparel, having sewn at least one or two garments previously. (And we don't mean in middle school!) To be successful in this class and to be able to repeat the process at home, you should know how to read a pattern and its instructions and how to lay out your fabric for cutting, including understanding the concept of the right and wrong sides of the fabric.
Of course, students must be proficient using a sewing machine, including how to change settings and set up your machine for sewing.
Class supplies must be purchased from Silk Road Textiles, either in store or through the SRT Online Marketplace. By using our high quality products, you know that you have the right tools and fibers to set you up for success, and we are able to keep our class prices down.
Supplies needed for class (see pattern for amount of fabric needed for your measurements):
- Grainline Studio Tamarack Jacket pattern
- Main & Lining Fabric: woven light to mid-weight cottons, linens, chambrays and blends. Avoid anything too stiff since this will be lined and quilted.
- Additional ½ yard of lining fabric for bias binding (or go rogue and choose a different fabric for binding)
- 2 yards 96" wide cotton batting
- Fusible Interfacing
- View A: Coat weight hook and eye closures
- View B: Four heavy duty snaps
- Walking foot for quilting
- Needles appropriate for machine & fabric
- Marking tool
- Pins or wonder clips
- Scissors or Rotary Cutter
- Sewing Machine
- Hammer, Anvil, Press for Snaps (provided by instructor)
Basic sewing supplies (machine, wonder clips or pins, scissors or rotary cutter)