We are so excited about Aurifil Color Builders, which includes twelve mini-collections inspired by (and named after) Italy’s most vibrant and colorful destinations. Each collection contains three large spools of Aurifil's supple and strong 40wt thread — a warm, a medium, and a dark. The colors were selected not only for their aesthetic appeal, but for their practicality in everyday use. Quilters, sewists, and makers will appreciate the Color Builder collections for their beauty and for their utility. Color inspiration was drawn from 12 magnificent but endangered animals, currently in dire need of attention, advocacy, and compassion.
Why Use Aurifil 40wt thread? Wound on a bold green spool, Aurifil's 40wt/2ply thread is every bit as versatile as Aurifil's 50wt, but with just a bit more strength. It is tremendous for sewing bags and garments, or for when a more defined topstitching or quilting pattern is desired. Aurifil 40wt is also the number one recommended weight for quilting and machine embroidery.
40wt tips from several Aurifil Master Educators & Aurifilosophers
- Machine Quilting: 40wt is a top recommendation for both free motion and walking foot quilting. It provides a little heavier line than the 50wt, but not too heavy. No need to worry that the quilting will overpower the top. One benefit of the slightly thicker line is that you can more easily see where you are going while learning new skills. It is a little thick for stitch-in-the-ditch, but pairs well with a quilt done that way with the 50wt.
- Digitized Embroidery: Since the 40wt is the thread weight most digitized embroidery designs are designed for, it is a great weight for quilting with your embroidery machine.
- Apparel Sewing and Dressmaking: Aurifil 40wt thread is our go-to thread when making a garment project in a Cotton, a Cotton/Linen Blend, or Linen. These threads are a little bit stronger than the 50wt thread, so it will work beautifully and keep your project and thread fibers consistent throughout the project.
- Needle: It is best to use a 80/12 or 90/14 Topstitch, Quilting, or Denim needle when using this thread by machine.
- Bobbin: For best results when using 40wt thread by machine, use Aurifil 50wt in the bobbin. It’s the perfect thread partner but is also incredibly economical as more thread will fit on the bobbin.
- Longarm Quilters: We recommend a 3.0 needle size or larger for longarm quilters. Aurifil’s test groups have found that using a MR (multidirectional) needle helps to reduce breakage when using 2ply threads on the longarm. Longarm users should use 40wt in the bobbin and go a little slower than normal when quilting, particularly when creating curves.
- Use 40wt for a new technique: Edge Coloring Appliqué:
- Aurifil 40wt thread is truly perfect! The weight and strength allow ease of stitching through the layers of fabric, glue, and stabilizer. Check out the pictures below!
You can enroll in the Color Builders Club at any time. Your first pack will be available during the month following your enrollment. (For example, if you enroll by March 31, your first pack will be available in April.)
What Do I Get? Three large (1300 m) spools 40 wt. Aurifil 100% cotton thread. Each month features a warm, medium, and dark color. Price: $39 (before Priority shipping)
- Packs cannot be returned or exchanged.
Prefer to pay monthly or to enroll for a longer period of time? Call the shop at 513.541.3700, and we can help you out!